Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Girl in Gold Boots Memorabilia (Part 3 of 3)

And here we are, at the final installment of the Girl in Gold Boots memorabilia! (Also, it's my 60th post! Woo, I guess.)

Today, we've got the as-complete-as-musically-possible Girl in Gold Boots Soundtrack Album!


Being the ginormous Girl in Gold Boots fan that I am, there's nothing I've wanted more than the soundtrack to this film. The film has some great 60s rock/pop by Larry Cartell and Chris Howard, and an awesome incidental score by Nicholas Carras that has moments very reminiscent (at least to me) of a low-budget film noir soundtrack.

Most of the rock songs in the movie were written by Chris Howard (the lead singer on screen at the Haunted House AKA that guy that looks like John Tesh) but a most of them, including the title song, were actually sung by Larry Cartell - that "Cowboy Santa" guy.

A Happy Go Lucky Sound!

As you can see, that "Cowboy Santa" song went to #1 on the charts. I wonder why it never became a holiday staple, like "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". I mean, I never heard of it until this movie. Weird.

From what I can gather, most, if not all of the songs in the movie were recorded by artists on the Glenolden label. All except one of the 7"s that I've collected were released on the Glenolden label. I assume the other label (Colossal) was a label that absorbed Glenolden whenever it closed.

Three of the songs in the movie were written by Jody Daniels (aka Critter). In the early 60s, he was on the Dot record label, which released many famous artists including Louis Armstrong, The Surfaris, Liberace, The Andrews Sisters, The Chantays, and everybody's favorite... Leonard Nimoy.

As far as I can tell (and find), Jody only released one single with Dot Records, and I assume he never released a full album. If he did, I'd love to find and hear it. 

There is another 7" single I've found on a label called N-Joy Records under the name of "Jody Daniel" with the songs "At The Go Go" and "Quando Calentia Del Sol"... but I'm not going to pay $103.06 for a record, especially for only 2 songs.

The song "Gold" is by a great loungey-type singer named Joe Valino. He released a bunch of singles, including his most popular, and still pretty well known song "Garden of Eden". Joe was also the first person to record the song "Learnin' The Blues" which was later made famous by Frank Sinatra. He released one really great album, called Sinner or Saint, which we'll come back to in another post. Also, I think he kind of looks like Al Lewis aka Grampa Munster.

One song in the film is by Jerry Wallace, who was a country/pop musician who recorded for many labels, and is probably most well known for his song "If You Leave Me Tonight I'll Cry" which was featured on an episode of the classic Rod Serling show Night Gallery.

There is only one song in the film that has completely evaded me, and that is the song that is played during the infamous diner scene where Buz appears out of nowhere. Just so you know, this only happens in the TV/VHS version... not on the DVD. So get your laughs out now!


So, if you know what song that is, and I'm assuming it's called "The Hurting Game", let me know! I'd love to find it. It's a pretty good country song!

Anyways...

There is another fan-made version of the soundtrack floating online, where all the music is taken directly from the DVD. I have used the DVD tracks for the Nicholas Carras score, as well as the songs that weren't put on any official record ("Do You Want to Laugh or Cry", "I Just Want to Rest", "Lonesome Man", "You Gotta Come Down", and "Bongo Madness").

But all of the other tracks come directly from promotional 7"s released on Glenolden Records, and are the full and complete tracks, with no dialogue/sound effects overlapping the songs, unlike on that other soundtrack that's around the interwebs. I've also included an alternate version of Larry Cartell's "Jimmy's Girl" that I like more than the one used in the film. So there.

UPDATE (11/02/12) – added two Danny Welton instrumental harmonica tracks ("Julie" and "Stroblights") from a Girl in Gold Boots promotional soundtrack 7". "Julie" replaces "A New Companion", since it's the full length version of that song. "Stroblights" is added on at the end of the album, because I'm pretty sure it's not in the finished film... also, they spelled "strobe lights" wrong.

And so here we are at the end of the Girl in Gold Boots memorabilia. Except for one more thing... a promotional photo. It's the only one I've got, but it's a good one! If I get anymore, you'll be the first to know... whoever you are.


You can download the unofficially official soundtrack to Girl in Gold Boots HERE!!

Enjoy, yak boys and girls in your gold boots movin'!

3 comments:

  1. I wish I had the time and the resources to provide this much info on every film we've ever written about...............Thanx Jeremy!!

    Eegah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you are a fan of this little known movie, I have an obsession with Girl in Gold Boots, so much so I started sketching things from it, if you have the time check out my psychosis.

    http://nosecondpassword.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a religious man, but God bless you for compiling the soundtrack. Thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete