Friday, July 13, 2012

Hollywood Walk of Fame Trading Cards (Part 2 of 4)

Today is part TWO of the Hollywood Walk of Fame Trading Cards that I totally forgot I started blogging about 3 months ago.

Today's card is for the late, great Ernest Borgnine!


Well, last week Ernest Borgnine died. I was in Florida. I got really sad. I like Ernest Borgnine a lot. A whole heck of a bunch of liking the Borg. 

So, because I was away from my massive DVD collection, I went onto Netflix and watched Bunny O'Hare, which is a fun American International Pictures obscurity that stars him and Bette Davis. In the film, the two of them dress up like hippies and rob banks to send money to Bette Davis' deadbeat kids (one of whom is played by John Astin), all the while being chased by an incompetent police lieutenant played by the awesome Jack Cassidy. Everyone with Netflix should definitely check it out.

Ernest Borgnine was a fun actor. Some of my favorite films from the 50s-70s include great performances by him, including Marty (which he won an Oscar for), The Legend of Lylah Clare, The Dirty Dozen, The Oscar, From Here to EternityThe Poseidon Adventure, Johnny Guitar, Willard, and The Devil's Rain.

He was also in a not-too-great (but stupidly fun) movie Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders, which was later riffed on a insanely great episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

As for the photo on the card, it's him in character from his hilarious TV show McHale's Navy, which he starred in with Tim Conway and Joe Flynn. Other than McHale, probably his most famous character he played was as Mermaid Man on Spongebob Squarepants, where his sidekick Barnacle Boy was played by his McHale's Navy co-star Tim Conway.


Something you should check out, if you're a fan of the Borg (as I like to call him), is a cool road trip documentary made with his son Cris, called Ernest Borgnine on the Bus. It's super fun!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment